English Language, Literature and Culture in the European Context
English Language, Literature and Culture in the European Context
The mission of the Master"s programme is to train specialists in the field of Philology whose professional skills, attitudes and values meet the requirements of the current socio-economic and cultural environment.
In order to carry out this mission, the Master"s programme applies, through the disciplines it proposes, theoretical research in the area of cultural studies, adapted to current problems and realities, as well as aspects of theoretical research and professional activities in the area of language/communication and literature studies.
In particular, we highlight the fact that the master"s degree programmes in the field of Philology have formulated their objectives based on the needs identified following the careful analysis of the socio-academic context: the need to promote Romanian language, literature and culture more strongly at regional, national and European level; the need to deepen the study of English language, literature and culture; the need to ensure the possibility of continuing bachelor"s studies through a master"s programme as an indispensable step towards doctoral studies.
The Master"s programme Language, Literature and English Culture in the European Context offer graduates the following professional competences:
1. Effective communication, written and oral, in English, at C2 Level.
2. Description of the phonetic, lexical, and grammatical system of the English language in its diachronic evolution and in its synchronous varieties.
3. Presentation of literary phenomena in the historical, social, philosophical context of their era and in terms of regional differences.
4.Appropriate use of the conceptual and methodological apparatus of the humanities for the interdisciplinary investigation of complex cultural facts.
5. Development and implementation of cultural projects and policies at various levels (local, regional, national, European, global).
The main disciplines studied:
Cultural Identity and Literary Discourse;
Migration of European Cultural Concepts. Central and Peripheral Identities;
English in the Context of Globalization;
Metaphoric Language in Contemporary Journalistic Speech;
Conversational Analysis, Corpus Linguistics, Intercultural Communication in Business.
Length of studies
Studies are carried out over a period of 2 years (4 semesters, 14 weeks / semester), full time, 120 credits.
The Master students acquire multiple knowledge and skills, which are targeted by the very objectives of the programme:
-in-depth knowledge of the area of specialisation and, within it, of the theoretical, methodological and practical developments specific to the programme;
-the appropriate use of specific language in communication with different professional environments;
-the use of expert knowledge to explain and interpret new situations, in broader contexts associated with the field;
-the integrated use of the conceptual and methodological apparatus, under conditions of incomplete information, to solve new theoretical and practical problems.
The fundamental mission of the programme is to provide graduates with a complex package of knowledge, skills and competences, as well as vocational support to enable them to quickly be absorbed by the labour market, as specialists:
- Teacher in secondary education (conditioned by the psycho-pedagogical module),
- Education adviser,
- Literary reviewer in newsrooms, publishing houses and libraries,
- Book dissemination reviewer,
- Cultural adviser,
- Public institution adviser,
- Press correspondent, etc.
The programme also prepares specialists in communication and intercultural relations, thus responding to the need for qualified staff in both international companies and public institutions in the process of globalisation.
For further information contact:
The Centre for International Relations, "1 Decembrie 1918" University of Alba Iulia
5 Gabriel Bethlen street, 510009 Alba Iulia, RO
Tel: +40-258-806042/ext. 108 and 242, Fax: +40-258-806042
Step 1 Prospective students will upload your complete files (.pdf) till 30 September 2022 to the following platform http://intladm.uab.ro
Step 2 The University will evaluate the files and send to the Ministry of National Education - General Department for International Relations, a shortlist of persons that are nominated to receive the Letter of Acceptance to Studies. Along with the list, the University must send a copy of the application files
Step 3 The General Department for International Relations will issue the Letter of Acceptance to Studies and send it to 1 Decembrie 1918" University of Alba Iulia.
Step 4 Applications are received on a rolling basis, starting with the beginning of June until the end of September for admission to studies in the following academic year. The Letter of Acceptance will be issued by the Ministry of Education by the commencement of each academic year, i.e. 1st of October.
Documents required for the application file:
1. Application form;
2. Certified copy of the High school graduation diploma or equivalent - for undergraduate studies-duly stamped by the Romanian embassy;
3. Certified copy of the Bachelor"s degree or equivalent - for postgraduate applicants or PhD - duly stamped by the Romanian embassy;
4. Transcript of records translated into Romanian, English, French or German;
5. Language certificate (optional);
6. Certified copy of the birth certificate;
7. A copy of the passport valid at least 6 months after the date when the letter of acceptance to studies is issued;
8. The medical certificate (in a language of international circulation) attesting that the person to be enrolled in the studies is clinically healthy and does not suffer from contagious diseases or other diseases incompatible with the future profession and also mentioned personal history of chronic diseases and SARS-COV2, respectively;
Tuition for foreign citizens from non-EU member states payable in advance for one academic year:
1,980 de euro / year for non - UE prospective students
2,200 lei / year for UE prospective students
When registering, the candidates will present the original documents from the Application file, certified for authentication by the Embassy of Romania to the issuer country or endorsed with Apostille of Hague, if the previous studies were not completed in Romania, in a European Union country or in accordance with the legal assistance agreements signed between Romania and third countries.
Please upload your complete files (.pdf) till 30 September 2022 to the following platform http://intladm.uab.ro
1 Decembrie 1918 University of Alba Iulia
Centre for International Relations Office
5 Gabriel Bethlen Street, 510009 Alba Iulia, Romania